Issuance of ID Cards for External Users and Access to CU Information Systems

The issuance of ID cards to external persons at Charles University is governed by Rector's Directive No. 24/2006, as amended (hereinafter referred to as “Rector's Directive”).

An external person means “an external service user” within the meaning of the Rector's Directive. These "external service users" include a wide range of persons, from external users or CU libraries and refectories to participants in lifelong learning courses, from persons who have a contract of services with CU, external tutors, supervisors, consultants, and opponents of student theses to visiting professors.

The issuance of an external service user card (the card has a red background) is not directly related to access to CU information systems – access to the information systems is usually possible without the card. However, in some cases, e.g., when it comes to entering the libraries and buildings that require the use of an identification card or when having a meal at one of the refectories, it is preferable and more convenient to have the card, as without the card it may be (significantly) more complicated to use these services. That being said, the issuance of an external service user card is not a prerequisite for access to the Student Information System, the Charles University Authentication Service (CAS), the Moodle e-learning platform and others.

External service users do not need to have a CU ID card to have a so-called verified password to the CAS issued at one of the card service centers (or at other designated places, usually the IT department of each faculty).

External service users can be entered into the database of ID card applicants (and thus into the CU register of persons) in one of the following four ways:

1. Visit to one of the ID card service centers – applicants need to provide their personal information and apply for a card.

2. Registration in a lifelong learning program through the Student Information System by the relevant CU faculty or department.

3. Registration in the WhoIsNT central personnel system by the relevant CU faculty or department. Users can be registered as:

a. External users – This applies to faculties/departments using WhoIsNT that have an agreement for the export of external users with the CU Computer Science Center (currently the Third Faculty of Medicine, the Faculty of Pharmacy, the Faculty of Science, the Faculty of Education, and the Computer Science Center);

b. Persons with a contract of services – Applies to faculties/departments using WhoIsNT that have an agreement for the export of persons with contracts of services with the CU Computer Science Center (currently the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Education).

4. A file in a specified format with the user’s personal information sent to the CU Computer Science Center by the relevant CU faculty or department.

In all the above cases, the user will also be registered in the CAS and will be able to set up a login password for the CAS. When registration is completed according to points 2, 3 and 4 above, the user record will also get linked to the relevant CU faculty/department in the CAS (this may have an impact, for example, on automatic access to certain faculty/department buildings). When registration is completed through a personal visit to a card service center, no record of the person's association with a faculty/department is created in the CAS, as in such cases it is not clear which faculty/department the person is associated with.

When registration is completed according to points 2 (participants in lifelong learning programs) and 4 (transfer of a data file by a faculty/department), it is possible to indicate that the external service user does not have to pay for the issuance of the card at the card service center and that the card will be paid for (in accordance with point 10 of the Rector's Directive) by the relevant CU faculty/department. When registration is completed according to point 3 (registration in the central personnel system), it is not possible to make such indications for individual persons – this feature will be added to WhoIsNT in the future. Currently, the only solution is to arrange with the Computer Science Center to have the indication displayed for all external users within a specific faculty/department.

Introduction of an external service user into CU information systems:

• To use the services of CU libraries, an electronic application must be submitted. The application is available at

• Once the external service user card is issued, the external service user is automatically introduced to the CU refectory system. However, the user gets registered as a full price boarder, i.e., without the right to subsidy.

• In order to enter the premises with a smart ID card, the external service user must be registered in the CAS, preferably with a link to the relevant faculty/department, in addition to having a CU ID card. However, this alone is usually not sufficient; it is also necessary that the administrator of the faculty’s/department's access system explicitly authorizes the user to enter selected buildings or areas of the faculty/department.

• To access the Student Information System, it is not necessary to have a CU ID card, nor is it necessary to be registered in the CAS (even though logging in via the CAS is the preferred option). However, it is necessary for an authorized member of staff at the faculty (the faculty’s Student Information System administrator or an authorized person at the department) to introduce the user to the system and, if the system is to be accessed other than via the CAS, to provide the user with access details.

• To access the Moodle platform, the external service user must have an active user account in the CAS. Access rights to specific Moodle courses are then set up for the user by the faculty/department that manages the relevant Moodle courses.

If you have any questions about the issuance of external service user ID cards or access to CU information systems, you can contact the CU Computer Science Center via the HelpDesk application or by e-mail at

Last change: July 8, 2021 11:34 
Share on: Facebook Share on: Twitter
Share on:  
Contact Us

Charles University

Ovocný trh 5

Prague 1

116 36

Czech Republic

CU Point - Centre for Information, Counselling and Social Services


Phone: +420 224 491 850

Erasmus+ info:



How to Reach Us